Public participation is a communication channel that connects the public and decision makers. It allows decision makers and spatial planning professionals to co-create the best solutions together with public.
Public participation is an indispensable part of the democratic political system and spatial planning. Avoiding contact with public often returns in the form of unnecessary tension, distrust, public opposition or even protests. Early and appropriate involvement of public significantly reduces these risks. In addition, solutions developed together with the public are generally better, as no one knows a space better than those who use it every day. And because the solutions that the public has shaped are better understood and accepted among people, it is also easier to implement them.
IPoP often leads public participation processes. This includes:
- Planning and managing the public participation process
- Writing press releases, articles for the local newsletter and website
- Conducting surveys, interviews and workshops
- Organizing and facilitating public debates
- Identifying key challenges
- Designing goals and scenarios
- Drafting action plans for the implementation of measures
- Presenting proposed solutions to elected representatives (e.g. municipal council), political groups, the public and the media
In recent years IPoP has cooperated with numerous Slovenian municipalities (Škofja Loka, Idrija, Vrhnika, Velenje, etc.). In Škofja Loka we helped to move the process of drafting the detailed municipal spatial plan forward from status quo, in Idrija we helped to draft a proposal for a new parking policy, in Vrhnika we helped to communicate about the renovation of Stara cesta, a major road in the city.
We also cooperate with communities and civil initiatives. We help to justify the initiatives or comments of local communities, but only if they are in line with the principles of sustainable spatial planning. We also encourage the creation of local coalitions and partnerships in which better solutions can be developed.